Re: st: Re: aorder: system limit exceeded

Subject   Re: st: Re: aorder: system limit exceeded
Date   Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:49:33 -0500

At 03:31 PM 7/1/2005 +1000, James Muller wrote:
It's something to do with the updated release of aorder.

When I run release 2.2.2 found in the 'base' adopath directory of Stata 8 it works fine; the release in the 'update' adopath directory dispays the bug. Since 2.2.2 is not available in Stata9 I have attached the old version to this email; it works fine in Stata9.

A crude way of fixing this, -I believe-, is to copy the old release to update path and change the version numbering so it won't get overwritten. I'm not sure of the mechanics of the update process, but if you trick whatever mechanism is used into thinking the old release is the current, then when the new (corrected) release, "version 2.2.4", is provided then your aorder will automatically update.
Good catch. But, instead of trying all these tricks, I would suggest just copying the old version and name it aorder2, and changing the program line accordingly. In general I don't think it is a good idea to try to change the official Stata programs; instead make copies with new names and place them in c:\ado\personal or something like that.

As for why the change - if you dig through the -help whatsnew- listing, you see that on 22 Aug 2003 "aorder gave a system-limit error if some of the variable names had the letter "d" or "e" after an initial stub and number; this is fixed." Without wading through the code, I wonder if they just shifted the problem to "c" and "d" instead!

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]