st: Distributing Mata .mlib libraries from user sites

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Distributing Mata .mlib libraries from user sites
Date   Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:15:56 +0100

Hello All (especially Mata experts)

I have a query about distributing Mata .mlib libraries from user sites under Stata 9. According to the Mata Reference Manual (see -[M-3] mata mlib-), if I create a new .mlib library, and want to use it later in the same session, then I must tell Mata about it by typing

mata mlib index

so the compiled functions in my .mlib library are known to Mata. This looks simple enough to me. However, if I distribute a .mlib library as part of one of my Stata packages (on SSC or on my website). and a user downloads the package and wants to use it immediately, then does the user have to actively type

mata mlib index

immediately after installation? Or does the installation process itself (controlled by -net install- or -ssc install-) automatically update Mata's index of -mlib- files to include any new ones installed?

Best wishes (and thanks in advance)

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://phs.kcl.ac.uk/rogernewson/

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/