Re: st: help help... openning a large dbf file

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: help help... openning a large dbf file
Date   Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:39:31 -0500

At 08:10 AM 6/24/2005 -0700, Mazhar Islam wrote:
Hi all,
I have a 1 million x 1 million matrix in .dbf format.
Can I open it in stata ? I have Stat 8.0 SE version. I
appreciate your help.

First off, I would update your version of Stata to 8.2. Since you may have never updated, from within Stata type

update executable
update all

Second, the separate Stat Transfer program can convert files from dbase format to Stata format.

Can any program read a file that huge though??? Maybe you'll need to make an extract from it. It is hard for me to imagine what a million by million matrix would contain.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu