RE: st: RE: Generating dummies

From   "ALICE DOBSON" <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Generating dummies
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:02:45 -0400

The state codes are basically COMPUSTAT numeric codes (with some missing), for instance, 3, 52, and hence 56 state codes.

From: Richard Williams <>
Subject: RE: st: RE: Generating dummies
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:57:17 -0500

At 02:43 PM 6/21/2005 -0500, Richard Williams wrote:
Incidentally, in one of my data sets, which uses government data, the 56th state is Wyoming and the 11th state is the District of Columbia. Puerto Rico is the 72nd state. We don't seem to have states 3, 7, 14, 43, 52, or 57-71, at least in my list. I bet Guam is 14 and Virgin Islands is 52, and somebody with a good knowledge of U.S. territories can probably fill in the other gaps.
Also, American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Palau and others are among the 60 States in the US (or at least the 60 entities we assign FIPS codes too). A listing is at

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu