Re: st: Data Loading Puzzle (Numeric values were forced into str9format)

From   "Eric G. Wruck" <>
Subject   Re: st: Data Loading Puzzle (Numeric values were forced into str9format)
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:44:31 -0400

Sometimes you can have blank cells & this will make it a string variable.  Do you have some blank or missing values for this variable after "in-sheeting" it into STaTa?  Say you have n missing values, then go to the bottom of your spreadsheet & delete n or more rows; save & try again.

Of course, as Nick points out, destring is another means of handling this.

>Hello all,
>I have encountered a puzzle and I hope you could shred some light on it.
>I am trying to load a large dataset (40,000 obs) into STATA, using the INSHEET command. The original file is in CSV format. There is one variable has only numeric values. However, when I read the dataset into STATA, this variable is stored as "str9". I try looking through the dataset and I did not find any characters values in this variable. Could you please help me figure out how to read this variable into  "float" or any numeric format?

       Eric G. Wruck
       2535 Sherwood Road
       Columbus, OH  43209

       ph:      614.231.5034