st: changing format and summing data

From   Angela James <>
Subject   st: changing format and summing data
Date   Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:26:01 -0700

Hello all,
I am a novice stata user.  I have a data set which I transferred from
excel.  I am working with employment and earnings data from an
organization.  The data is currently stacked--with different quarters
on top of each other.
Each individual has a unique identification number--however, in a given
quarter not all ids will have reported earnings.  Further, within
quarters certain ids may have more than one record (or line) of
My basic question is:
How do I total earnings by unique ID(individual), given this data
Thanks in advance,