Re: st: use of a distance matrix for cluster analysis in STATA

From   Jean-Benoit Hardouin <>
Subject   Re: st: use of a distance matrix for cluster analysis in STATA
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:08:07 +0200

Dear Jochen,
With Stata 8, it is not possible to use a distance matrix in a cluster command: you must program your cluster algorithm manually. With Stata 9, it is possible to use the clustermat command.

Jochen Siegele a écrit :

Dear all, thanks a lot for your help and comments.
We have a relatively small number of objects, around 20. Hence the raw data matrix is a 1.4 mio x 20 matrix with binary data.
By an external programme we have calculated a 20x20 distance matrix.

After importing the 20x20 distance matrix into STATA, STATA seems to interpret the imported matrix as raw data matrix and not as a distance matrix.
Hence STATA seems to calculate a further distance matrix based on the important distance matrix and does not seem be able to accept the imported matrix as a distance matrix.
Is there any possibility telling STATA that the imported matrix is a distance matrix and not a raw data matrix?
We use STATA 8.1 for our calculations.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Jochen Siegele

* For searches and help try: