st: RE: RE: RE: unique value count in several variables

From   "Wanli Zhao" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: unique value count in several variables
Date   Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:08:29 -0400

Nick,
I do not have nvals beforehand. I finally modified your "reshape" program as
I did manually in Eviews and it worked. I just replace the missing values
with some number (I put 99) and run your program and the nvals shows the
right number (of course it includes missing value as a distinct sic). So the
only complication in my case is the missing value needs to be a number.
Thanks again.

Wanli

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 5:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: unique value count in several variables

Scott's program does not claim to subdivide by your key and year and it does
not do so.

What you call "Nick's original program" appears to be my first code as
modified by you. It was based on the idea that -nvals- did not exist
beforehand, and indeed the purpose of the code is to create -nvals-. In your
case, you appear to have used it after creating -nvals- in some other way.
That won't work. At a minimum, you need to drop -nvals- first.
It is possible also that complications you didn't tell us about have not
been taken into account in modifying the code, as you are here using
variable names not previously explained.

Naturally, people often simplify their problem for Statalist to show the
essence of it. That's great for the people who answer the questions.
However, the original posters then need to add back the complications in
exactly the right way.

Otherwise put, there is nothing in this report that looks to me like a bug
in Scott's code or mine given the original example you specified.

You are right that the second approach will be slower than the first.
There's a lot of looping and testing -if-.

Wanli Zhao