RE: st: RE: -clemao_io- broken in Stata 9? - Addendum

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: -clemao_io- broken in Stata 9? - Addendum
Date   Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:00:03 +0100

I want to comment generally on the idea
of version control. There seems to be a
folklore idea that version control is a
Stata variant on time travel, so that
saying (e.g.)

version 7

means that everything is exactly as it
was when Stata 7 was what you were dealing
with. This is not so. The only way to
experience the totality of Stata 7
is to use Stata 7.

I have also encountered the idea that setting

version 9

in Stata 8 would enable a user of
Stata 8 to use programs written for
Stata 9. That is wishful thinking in
its most distilled form.

Rather, version control is a way for StataCorp
to _reduce_ clashes, not to eliminate them, between
old and new software. It is perhaps important to note
that it does not cover (e.g.)

bugs
much stuff regarded as obsolete
some trivia

Having said that, I once started to try to write
an FAQ on this, and realised that I did not know
nearly enough to do a good job. I guess that only
senior StataCorp developers know enough about
this to write a really definitive account.

Richard Williams