Re: st: New variable

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: New variable
Date   Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:29:09 +0200

Fernando wrote:

> I have a huge data set. The ID variable is like that:
> 05.81-0120
> 25.63-0208
> and so on.
> I want to create a ne ID1 variable, without the "." and the "-",
> and keeping the 0 before the first number:
> 05810120
> 25630208

and there was a suggestion to use -destring-.

Take care with long ID variables, you may get precision problems,
and the best strategy is to keep them as strings. The wanted
transformation to another string variable is shown here:

clear
input str10 id
05.81-0120
25.63-0208
end
gen id2=substr(id,1,2) + substr(id,4,2) + substr(id,7,4)
list , clean

               id        id2
  1.   05.81-0120   05810120
  2.   25.63-0208   25630208