Re: st: one-way tables with survey data

From   "Steven A. Harvey" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: one-way tables with survey data
Date   Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:38:09 -0400

Nick Winter's answer works very well for unstratified variables (Thank you, Nick). This solves part of my problem, but not all of it. For many variables, I need to stratify by respondent characteristics. For example, if I want to stratify by age in a non-survey dataset, I could type:

tab agegrp myvar , r

and Stata would return percentages that add up to 100% for each row, with each row corresponding to a different age group.

but svytab doesn't allow the , r option, and when I type

svytab agegrp myvar

Stata returns a table of proportions in which the rows and columns combined add up to 1. I can't figure out a way to get row totals.

svytab also does not allow "by" statements, so I can't say "bysort agegrp: svytab myvar one" (where "one" is the constant variable mentioned in Nick's message)

The only workaround I've been able to discover so far is to use an "if" statement for each stratum:

svytab myvar one if agegrp==1
svytab myvar one if agegrp==2
svytab myvar one if agegrp==3

etc.

Very cumbersome and time-consuming, especially for characteristics with many strata (e.g., 17 provinces in the country)
This syntax also prevents me from using the syntax "for varlist varA varB varC etc: svytab X myvar"

Surely there must be a more efficient way to produce such basic information...?

Thanks again,

Steve