st: Textbook Suggestions

From   Chao Yawo <[email protected]>
To   SAS-L <[email protected]>, SPSS <[email protected]>, StataList <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Textbook Suggestions
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I would be teaching a course on "social statistics" to
first year undergraduate students this summer.

The class is entirely interdisciplinary, consisting of
sociology, health, social work, political science,
majors - hence a broad overview is necessary.

Besides, many of these students have no background in
statistics beyond high school preparation.

The course is for one term alone, and we will meet 3x
a week for about 50 minutes each.

What textbook will you suggest?

I have looked at David Moore's: Statistics: Concepts
and Controversies, and liked such a general approach.

For such a level, would it be adviceable to include
lab computer exercises using Spss?

This would be my first time teaching such a course,
and I'm not sure if I would be taxing them too much by
including lab exercises.

I appreciate your responses - CY

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html