RE: st: Reading the letters in a name up to a particularcharacter in Stata 8.2

From   "Daniel Waxman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Reading the letters in a name up to a particularcharacter in Stata 8.2
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:44:54 -0400

There are many ways to do this, but I find .split() to be a very useful
command.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dev Vencappa
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 7:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Reading the letters in a name up to a particularcharacter
in Stata 8.2

Dear all,
 apologies if this has been posted  before and I missed it. I have a string
variable which is the name of companies (fictitious example follows):

XYZ, International
ABCDE, National
DFTRER, Exports

etc

I want  to keep only the first part of the company name (e.g. keep XYZ ABCDE
DFTRER, etc). The obvious solution is to ask Stata to read the letters and
chop off anything from the character "," onwards, but am not very sure which
command to use in Stata 8.2  to be able to do that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks
Dev

>>> [email protected] 06/13/05 12:21 pm >>>
Greetings,

I have panel data and have estimated the following model with gllamm:

gllamm y x1 x2, i(persid) family(binom) link(probit) adapt trace

The level one units are measurement occasions and the level two units
are persons, indicated by the variable persid. I have two questions
concerning this model:

1. Why don't I get identical results when I estimated the same model
with xtprobit using
xtprobit y x1 x2, i(persid)

Using the example of the logit, the Gllamm manual (page 34) implies that
these commands are identical. I was able to confirm this with the logit,
but it doesn't seem to work with the probit.

2. The condition number generated by the gllamm model goes through the
roof when additional explanatory variables are added. The number is
about 30 with 2 explanatory variables and about 22000 with five, one of
which is a squared term. Is this a cause for concern?

Many thanks,
Colin

Colin Vance, Ph.D.
German Aerospace Center