Re: st: RE: Specification for a 1/0 variable with consecutive non-missing observations

From   Alejandro Delafuente <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Specification for a 1/0 variable with consecutive non-missing observations
Date   Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:15:58 +0100 (BST)

Thanks David. After having a look at your program I think it should work, but
actually my 40 variables are months followed by year (ie, jan1990 feb1990, ...,
may1993) and am still figuring out how to number them. Can you see anything
wrong if using a sequenced variable (x) I do the following:

foreach var of varlist jan1990-may1993 {
rename `var' `var'x[_n]
}

In message <[email protected]>
[email protected] writes:
> Assuming your 40 variables are consecutively numbered in some way (here I
have assumed var1-var40), the following (untested) code should be about right...

> gen cons=0
> gen maxcons=0
> forvalues i=1/40 {
> 	replace cons=cons+1 if !missing(var`i')
> 	replace cons=0 if missing(var`i')
> 	replace maxcons=cons if cons>maxcons
> }
> gen byte cons20=maxcons>=20
>
> The final variable (cons20) is the 1/0 variable you are after (maxcons will
contain the longest run of consecutive non-missing variables).

> Hope this helps
>
> David

Alejandro de la Fuente
QEH/Department of International Development
Oxford University