RE: st: Merging matrices

From   John-Paul Ferguson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Merging matrices
Date   Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:47:30 -0400

Both Nick and Scott's suggestions were quite useful. Scott's is better for this
case, where I would prefer to keep the data in memory. While working it into my
program, I also realized, belatedly, that I need not hard-code the v(.) values
for the -tabcount- command (something that wasn't so obvious late last night!).
In other words:

(snip)
replace var2=var4 if var2==3

su var1
local max1=r(max)
su var2
local max2=r(max)   /// Could also be done with -tabstat-
local max=max(`max1',`max2')
tabcount var1, v(1/`max') zero mat(m1)
tabcount var2, v(1/`max') zero mat(m2)

(etc.)

Thanks again to Scott and Nick for their suggestions.

--John-Paul Ferguson