st: Obtaining adjusted values from a regression

From   "David Fisher" <>
Subject   st: Obtaining adjusted values from a regression
Date   Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:15:47 +0000

Hi all!
This is probably a really basic question but my brain's not working too well today...
I want to obtain values for a particular variable ("x") after adjustment for another variable ("y"), so that the new variable ("adjusted x") no longer varies with "y".
After typing "regress x y", giving the equation xhat=a+b*y, I think I need to obtain the variable x-b*y. Is this correct, and is there a way to obtain this variable without copy-pasting the regression coefficient into a "gen" command?
David Fisher.

* For searches and help try: