st: RE: Bar color in complex bar graph

From   "David Harrison" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Bar color in complex bar graph
Date   Fri, 27 May 2005 08:36:19 +0100

You need to tell it to change bar 1 (all of the bars are "bar 1" because you are using -ascategory-), so add:

bar(1, bcolor(red*.5) blc(red*.8))

(Although I have to say red*.5 is one of the most hideous colours known to mankind... what's wrong with blue?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Margo Schlanger []
Sent: 27 May 2005 02:15
Subject: st: Bar color in complex bar graph

I feel kind of dumb for this one, but I've worked on it and come up only
with a very tedious workaround.  I'm hoping someone knows a better way
for next time . . .

I'm running a fairly complicated bar chart:

graph bar (asis) portion1-portion12 if year > 1983,  ylabel(0(.1).2,
grid) ascategory   by(dummy year, [other options])

the variables (portion1-portion12) name 12 variables, each of which is

So here's my question.  It defaults to blue, and I need it to be red.
(In particular, bcolor(red*.5) blc(red*.8)).  But I can't figure out how
to get the color to work as syntax).  No matter where I put it, I get an
error message.  (I can do this by omitting the ascategory, and then
doing it bar by bar, but then I have to label the bar widths, too, and I
figure there's got to be a better way.)

Any help is much appreciated.

Margo Schlanger
Professor of Law