st: Bar chart and time series

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Bar chart and time series
Date   Thu, 26 May 2005 10:48:44 -0700 (PDT)

Stata 8.2, Windows XP

I would like to create a bar chart that compares country data over
time but am not sure how to do this. Take this example:

. sysuse educ99gdp, clear
. graph bar public private, over(country)

The graph shows 1999 data. Now assume that I have 2004 data that I
want to add to the graph. Assume further that all 2004 values are
higher than the 1999 values.

. gen public04 = 1.2*public
. gen private04 = 1.2*private

One possibility would be to add the 2004-1999 difference on top of
the existing bars, in a stacked bar chart. Another possibility would
be to add points or other symbols above the "public" and "private"
bars that indicate the 2004 value. I don't know how to do either in
Stata and so far I managed only to create a graph that has too many
bars.

. graph bar public public04 private private04, over(country)

I studied the Graphics manual and Michael Mitchell's "A visual guide
to Stata graphics" but found no other solution. Dot plots are not an
option because I have to follow certain guidelines. Thank you for
your suggestions on how the data could be presented.

Friedrich Huebler