st: supertables, please. (Tufte 1983 :179)

From   "Gindo Tampubolon" <>
Subject   st: supertables, please. (Tufte 1983 :179)
Date   Thu, 26 May 2005 14:56:04 +0100

Dear all,

I wonder if there's any one can help me with producing a supertable
(Tufte, E. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. :179)?
An example he produced for NYT looks like this:
in per cent                 Carter   Reagan  Anderson
Democrat                    xx         xx          xx
Rep.                           xx          xx          xx
Independent                xx          xx          xx
Age group
 18-21                         xx          xx          xx
. . .                             xx          xx          xx
  . .                            xx          xx          xx

Basically, one super column from categories of a variable
and many rows from many variables.
I tried
-table  , by(superrowvarlist)- but doesn't do the trick. Or perhaps I'm

Used to do it on SPSS ages ago... :(

Stata 8SE on XP

Many thanks for your help.

Gindo Tampubolon