default file associations (was Re: st: Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:46:36 +0100)

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   default file associations (was Re: st: Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:46:36 +0100)
Date   Thu, 26 May 2005 10:59:06 +0100

> I have downloaded data from the dhs website - and am trying to open
> the data using stata- I have both stata 7 and stata8se on this
> machine, when I run the do file which extract the data it defaults to
> using stata 7 and of course runs out of room for the variables, I want
> the default to be stata8se and I realise that I can increase the
> maximum number of variables (the reason for having stata8se) - can
> anyone help re how to extract the data so that the program used is
> stata8se not stata7

I'm going to hazard a guess that your using Stata under some windows OS variant, and
from what you've said I'm guessing that when you "run the do file" you mean you are
double-clicking on the do-file from within windows explorer, and Stata 7 is starting up
and trying to run the do-file.

If this is the case then it means that your do-files (files that carry the extension .do) are
associated with the Stata7 executable.

To avoid this you have two options (I'd recommend the first option, but both should
work)...

1) Start up Stata8se and naviagte to the directory that contains the do-file you wish to
run and then run the do-file from within Stata.  E.g. assuming the do-file is in
c:\work\whatever and is called extract.do typing the following commands....

. cd c:\work\whatever
. do extract.do

...will run the do-file in Stata8se

2) Change the file associations within your operating system.  From microsofts own
web-site....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307859&product=winxp

The instructions given here are for WinXP, and are likely to work with other recent
versions, but if they don't then a search on google should throw something up.

HTH's

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" -
Ernest Rutherford