RE: st: Adding -nocons- to -mlbeta-

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   RE: st: Adding -nocons- to -mlbeta-
Date   Tue, 24 May 2005 17:36:08 -0500

At 10:38 PM 5/24/2005 +0100, Nick Cox wrote:
The upper case N just flags minimally acceptable
abbreviation and has no consequences for what
it does.
I try to avoid these "no" syntaxes because they confuse me - but I believe the effect of capitalization is greater than that in this case. If you have

then macro `cons' contains nothing or else it contains "nocons".

But if instead I say

then macro `nocons' contains nothing or else it contains "nocons".

In other words, capitalization doesn't just change the minimal abbreviation - it changes the name of the local macro too. Part of Clive's problem may be that he is referring to `nocons' when he should be referring to `cons'. That is why I think he should just forget about using macros for now and just try to get it working.

option_descriptor_optionally_off is discussed on p. 410 of the Stata 8 Programming Manual and also in the online help for -syntax-.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu