st: compact output for series of one-way tabulations

From   Richard Goldstein <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: compact output for series of one-way tabulations
Date   Mon, 23 May 2005 15:30:47 -0400

I have a set of 32 variables, each can have any of the categorical values. What I want is an output that (excluding the header) is 32 rows by 5 columns, where the first column is the variable name and columns 2-4 are the three categories (frequency or count) and the last column is the total number having one of the three categories.

I admit that I cannot see even how to start coding this so I'm hoping that either someone already has coded it (though I couldn't find anything) or that someone has a hint or two they could share.

Rich Goldstein

* For searches and help try: