Re: st: panel data management - dividing into quartiles

From   David Jacobs <>
Subject   Re: st: panel data management - dividing into quartiles
Date   Sun, 15 May 2005 17:17:10 -0400

The command xtile listed in the manual under pctile will give you the quartiles or quintiles you need. Then a clunky way to find the highest value in a quartile is to use the list command with if conditions after sorting the values of the variable of interest. Finally, construct a dummy in the usual way with a generate command modified by if statements.

I'll bet the experts can come up with a more economical way, but this should work.

Dave Jacobs