st: Creating a macro of variable names

From   David Hadley <>
Subject   st: Creating a macro of variable names
Date   Fri, 13 May 2005 17:31:05 +0100

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a global macro containing certain variable names - but I'm having trouble appending/concatenating macros (as opposed to redefining the macro).

Assuming I have some variables called abc1, abc2, and abc3, here's my do-file so far:

foreach var of varlist abc* {
global varmacro = `"`$varmacro' `var'"'

This currently only stores (in varmacro) the last abc* variable ("abc3"), whereas I want it to produce a macro of "abc1 abc2 abc3".

I would have though this command could be done in one line rather than using a do-file, but would appreciate any method that works.

Thanks in advance,

believed to be clean.

* For searches and help try: