st: Stata svyset definition of strata?

From   "Don Lloyd" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stata svyset definition of strata?
Date   Thu, 12 May 2005 15:02:15 -0400

Dear Stata Community,
I'd like to be sure I understand what Stata means by "strata" for the svyset
functions. Our group selected a large community based random sample of
disabled residents and a nondisabled control group in a Florida county. We
randomly sampled 100 PSUs within the county; households within selected PSUs
were then randomly selected and screened for disabled adults. We chose cases
from the screened adult list such that equal proportions of men and women,
and equal proportions of each ethnic/racial group, were included in the
disabled target sample. For each disabled person, we then selected a similar
but non-disabled person from within the same PSU, gender, and ethnic group,
who was within 5 years of age. The achieved samples have similar, thought
not identical, distributions on gender, ethnicity, and age. We've developed
weights to adjust the distributions of nondisabled to match the disabled, in
these three dimensions. Two disability statuses by two sexes by three age
groups by five ethnic groups yield 60 strata -- is this the correct term
with respect to Stata's svyset function? While everyone in the disabled
group gets unit weight, the nondisabled are weighted according to which of
the 30 nondisabled cells (strata?) they belong to. Applying the weights
removes association between these factors and disability status.

My central question is, given the above procedures, should I use the
strata(stratvar) portion of the svyset option, in addition to
[iweight=wtvar] and psu(psuvar).

Thank you so much,
Don.

Donald A. Lloyd, PhD
Center for Demography and Population Health
and Department of Sociology
Room 616 Bellamy Building
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-2270
email: [email protected] phone: (850) 644-1753 fax: (850) 644-6208