Re: st: [Stata 9] launching do files

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: [Stata 9] launching do files
Date   Thu, 12 May 2005 10:19:43 -0400

Svend suggests running do-files from within Stata, which is an obvious
work-around. But some habits die hard, and unless there is a natural
way to open Stata within a current directory, one also then has to
navigate around the file system within Stata (awkward) rather than
within a file manager.

Changing the behavior of Stata when clicking on a do-file is easy
to change in Windoze. In file manager go to Tools->Folder Options->
File Types and hunt down DO; select Advanced and change the
default from Open to Edit. Or, add additional options to be selected
from the context menu (right click menu).

With a little finagling you can also manage to have Stata first
call , eg, a startup.do file which takes the file (do-file, dta-file,
other file) as argument and then performs different behaviours
depending on the type of file. This is what I do, and why I particularly
want to the old do-file behaviour to return.

thanks,
Jeph

Svend Juul wrote:

Jeph Herrin complains that when launching a do-file from Windows, Stata
9 displays nothing until the do-file has completely finished.

Immediate solution: Don't use Windows Explorer or My Computer for this
purpose, but call the do-file from within Stata:
File > Do...

Related issue: I think it would be nice if clicking a do-file icon
opened the do-file in a do-file editor window rather than executing the
do-file. Somebody else mentioned this recently, I think.

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark