st: [Stata 9] launching do files

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: [Stata 9] launching do files
Date   Wed, 11 May 2005 21:10:15 -0400

In launching DO files from WinXP I find that Stata 9
displays nothing until the DO-file has completely finished.
For DO files that take on the order of minutes or more this
is disconcerting - double click the icon, nothing happens,
repeat. A look at the process manager shows that an instance
(or more, depending on how many times I repeat before I
remember the problem) of wstata.exe is running. Eventually
- perhaps many minutes later - Stata 9 opens when the DO
file is finished.

There is no problem when using Stata to open DTA files;
Stata opens instantly, even if the file needs 30seconds
to load. I have carefully checked the command line in each
case, and the same executable is being called.

Is this a bug, a feature, or a option?

cheers,
Jeph