st: Mata and memory

From   "Jann, Ben" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Mata and memory
Date   Tue, 10 May 2005 11:55:23 +0200

I have a problem with Mata that confuses me. Mata sometimes
issues an error

 "cannot create <istmt1>():  insufficient memory"

although I am not doing anything that really uses a lot of
memory. Here's an example:

 . local list
 . forv i=1/10000 {
   2. local list "`list' hellobello"
   3. }
 . something `list'
 cannot create <istmt1>():  insufficient memory

The -something- command is just for illustration and
doesn't do anything complicated. It passes `list'
through Mata and returns it in r() (find the code

The string containing 10000 times "hellobello" consumes
arround 110kb. How can this be a problem?

Does the 110kb local macro plug up some cache that is
used by Mata? How can this be prevented?

Many thanks for any help,

PS: I'm using Stata/SE 9.0 on Windows XP

=== something.ado ===
program define something, rclass
	version 9.0
	syntax anything
	mata: something(`"`anything'"')
	return local list `"`r(anything)'"'

version 9.0
function something(string scalar anything)
	st_global("r(anything)", anything)