RE: st: RE: simulated maximum likelihood estimation

From   "Jun Xu" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: simulated maximum likelihood estimation
Date   Mon, 09 May 2005 17:06:01 -0500

Nick,

Thanks a lot as always! What I am trying to do is to estimate a simulated maximum likelihood logit models. In logit models,

eta = x'b , where eta = ln(p/1-p), and based on soc theories, I suspect
eta = x'b + error, where error is a positively valued disturbance term (say expotentially distributed). Because there is probably no closed form solution, I need to turn to simulated maximum likelihood estimation. That is, in the codes I provided, I try to add an error (expotentially distributed with mean of 5) to x'b, repeat this process for 100 times, then averge them out and we get simulated likelihood (use expectation to approximate the integral, or to integrate out that disturbance term). Then I use ml to maximize the function.

I tried to dummy up mvprobit_ll.ado file, in which they kind of created # of replication times of variables like:

forval i = 1/$S_MLE_M {
gen double `d`i'' = 0
gen double `sp`i'' = 0
gen double `arg`i'' = 0
gen double `k`i'' = 2*``i''-1
}

replace `sp`i'' = normprob((`arg`i'')/`c`i'`i'')*`sp`j''

Jun Xu
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Sociology
Indiana University at Bloomington