st: RE: assistance with syntax

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: assistance with syntax
Date   Mon, 9 May 2005 17:53:49 +0100

On occasion Stata gets it right. The error is
as indicated. The code should be (with
comments added).

				 //	"{" is an open brace
foreach pc of varlist _all {
				 //   the code should follow on
 	                   //   the next line.
	egen z`pc'=std(`pc')

As you say, this syntax works across all operating systems.

Sheela Athreya, Ph.D.

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with the syntax of the following command?

foreach pc of varlist _all {egen z`pc'=std(`pc')}

I get the error message "program error: code follows on the same line as open brace
r(198); "

I haven't used this command to standardize a set of variables in a long time, and have unfortunately maxed out my creative abilities to solve this problem. I'm using Intercooled Stata 8 for the Macintosh, although I'm pretty sure the syntax should be universal for this particular command.