st: re: iv and fixed effects

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: iv and fixed effects
Date   Mon, 9 May 2005 10:22:39 -0400

Juanhui wrote

Mark: This is a survey data. every observation represents a certain number of
persons in the population. all the weights in the dataset addup to the whole
population. So the pweight is the weight I will use, isn't it?

Kit: Do I need to consider the weights while I am doing the demeaning? ie. when
I calculate the mean of a variable, should I use the sum of variables divided by
the number of oberservations, or should I use the sum of the products of the
variable and weight, then divide the sum by the total weights? I hope I've made
myself clear.

To answer the first question, NO, these smell like classic frequency weights to me. As for the second, you can do the weighting in Jann's center command:

webuse census2
center medage [fw=pop]

In my understanding that will give you a demeaned, appropriately weighted median age variable.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: