Re: st: Re: IV and fixed effects

From   "Mark Schaffer" <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: IV and fixed effects
Date   Mon, 09 May 2005 12:26:14 +0100

Just to follow up on Kit's email,

From:           	Kit Baum <>
Subject:        	st: Re: IV and fixed effects
Date sent:      	Mon, 9 May 2005 07:11:47 -0400
Send reply to:

> Presumably you have too many fixed effects to implement directly. But
> you can always apply the demeaning transformation "by hand" to each
> variable--that is, by unit, express each variable as a deviation for
> the unit's mean--and then apply any appropriate estimator to the
> transformed variables. That is all that the xtivreg,fe estimator (or
> any estimator of the LSDV model, such as xtreg, fe or areg) is doing
> anyway. The egen mean function (which supports the bys unit: prefix)
> may be useful in doing this demeaning transformation.

Ben Jann's -center- will do this very nicely, with a casewise option
and support for aweights.  Dealing with weights might be a bit
tricky, though - is it simply a case of demeaning using weighted
means?  If so, aweights is good enough.

> Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
> On May 9, 2005, at 2:33 AM, Juanhui wrote:
> > My survey data requires me to run fixed effect OLS regression with
> > instrumental
> > variables. However, xtivreg doesn't support weights. ivreg doesn't
> > support fixed
> > effects and areg doesn't support iv. Is there any way to combine them
> > together
> > and get me finish my thesis?
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3296 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator