Re: st: Parameters returned by -lincom- after -logistic-

Subject   Re: st: Parameters returned by -lincom- after -logistic-
Date   Fri, 06 May 2005 14:36:27 -0500

At 08:20 PM 5/6/2005 +0100, Roger Newson wrote:
Hello All (especially StataCorp)

I am still using Stata 8.2 under Windows 2000, and have just found out about the behaviour of -lincom- if invoked after -logistic-, whereby it returns in -r()- an exponentiated estimate and its asymptotic standard error, even if the user has not specified any of the options -eform-, -or-, -hr-, -irr- or -rrr-. (See -[R] lincom- in the Stata 8 manuals.) This is a problem, because my own -lincomest- package (downloadable from SSC) invokes -lincom- without any estimation options, and attempts to use the estimate -r(estimate)- and its standard error -r(stderr)- to calculate a 1x1 matrix of estimates and a 1x1 variance matrix to be stored in the estimation results, and then lists the estimation results, using -eform()- only if specified by the user. (See Newson (2003) for more about -lincomest-.)
Further, perhaps I am missing it, but I don't see anything like an xb option that could force the behavior you want. I suppose you would have to add lines to your program to make sure it was doing what you wanted.

Another little quirk I discovered in Stata 8: After most commands, lincom returns its result in r(estimate). But, after svy commands, it returns its result in r(est). This was screwing up one of my programs until I figured out what was going on. I asked tech support if there was any particular reason for this and they said no, but they added that this would not be an issue in Stata 9.

I think with returns, consistency is very important. With regular commands, you can often support both old and new syntax; but if you change the behavior/names of returns or do things inconsistently across programs it can create problems.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]