st: RE: Merge changing census tracts

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Merge changing census tracts
Date   Fri, 6 May 2005 18:00:54 +0100

You can probably do this in several passes:

0. Check on births and deaths:

count if year1code == "00" & year2code == "00"

<should be zero>

1. Classify new ones and abolished ones:

egen g = group(year2code) if year1code == "00"
su g, meanonly
local ng = r(max)

egen g2 = group(year1code) if year2code == "00"

replace g = g2 + `ng' if year2code == "00"
su g, meanonly
local ng = r(max)

2. Classify year2 codes not yet classified:

egen g3 = group(year2code) if g == .

If these occur several times, areas
have merged, so you need to count them
to identify the multiples.

3. Classify year1 codes not yet classified:

egen g4 = group(year1code) if g == .

(Not complete. Just some possibilities...)