Re: st: Stata 9: first impressions?

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 9: first impressions?
Date   Thu, 5 May 2005 11:23:24 -0700 (PDT)

My first impressions:

1. More documentation. This is good and bad. But I
rather have more than less.

2. MATA looks like a great addition, but requires a
whole new level of programming sophistication beyond
ado file programming. It requires at skill level
comparable to that require for C++ programming.   This
in my opinion is a step back, in the sense that
programming levels try to become more real language
like and less like machine language. Mata goes in the
opposite direction making code programming more
machine-like. For us not accustomed to program in C,
programming in Mata, beyond a few simple lines of
code, will definitely be a challenge and maybe
frustrating and discouraging.

This is only my first impression and I may change my
mind once I begin learning Mata.

Ricardo.

--- Fred Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:
> As a follow-up:
>
> In stata 8 this
>
> locpoly2  nsaid age if lpuse &
> inrange(age,40,85),width(1) yline(.4 .5 .6)
> noscatter xtitle("Age (years)") ytitle(Propor> tion
> on NSAIDS)
>
> took 5.1 seconds.
>
> In Stata 9 it took 1.5 second
>
> Fred
>

> At 08:57 AM 5/5/2005, you wrote:
> >At 08:41 AM 5/5/2005, you wrote:
> >>I feel like -graph- is substantially faster,
> especially for drawing the
> >>first graph (when it is loading the whole scheme
> etc.)
> >
> >Yes, that was my impression: substantially faster.
> >
> >Fred
> >

> >>But maybe that is an artifact of something else
> (e.g., freshly installed
> >>the files are all contiguiouis and faster to load
> or something)?  Anyone
> >>else notice this?
> >>
> >>--Nick
> >

> >Fred Wolfe
> >National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
> >Wichita, Kansas
> >Tel (316) 263-2125     Fax (316) 263-0761
> >[email protected]
> >

> >*
> >*   For searches and help try:
> >*
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> >*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> >*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>

> Fred Wolfe
> National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
> Wichita, Kansas
> Tel (316) 263-2125     Fax (316) 263-0761
> [email protected]

> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Statistician