st: RE: statsby?

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: statsby?
Date   Tue, 03 May 2005 18:19:11 +0100

An alternative possibility is to use -parmest- together with -somersd- to produce an output dataset (or resultsset) with 1 observation per Kendall's tau-a, which you can then list and/or plot and/or tabulate. This method has the advantage of producing confidence limits as well as P-values for Kendall's tau-a, and also the option of using a normalising and/or variance stabilising transformation, such as the arcsine or the hyperbolic arctangent. The -somersd- and -parmest- packages are both downloadable from SSC.

To find out more about confidence intervals for Kendall's tau-a and other rank statistics, type in Stata

findit params

and you will be signposted to my website, where you can download a preprint of Newson (2002). To find out more about -parmest- and resultssets in general, type

findit resultsset

and you will be signposted to my website, where you can download a copy of my Stata User Meeting presentation on resultssets.

I hope this helps.

Roger