Re: st: Some Stata 9 issues

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Some Stata 9 issues
Date   Mon, 02 May 2005 13:47:48 -0500

Dear Alan and Vince,

Thanks for your reply.

Nick's solution works just fine for me in regard to multiple help windows.

However, as to the Stata editor and the suggested solution, I must demur. Right now, I am running two Stata 9 programs. When I alt-tab I see "untitled1" twice and "untitled2" once. After a little while I can't tell (remember) which of the untitled windows goes with which Stata. Finding the proper results window is much easier. Also, when I have many windows active on my computer (right now I have 15 - word processor windows, text editor, search programs, 6 stata 9 windows, etc) and I look at the windows task bar I see four tabs labelled "untitled ..."

Suppose that I have just reviewed results and I want to use the editor. Your solution sets me to alt-tabbing, when the tab I want may be far down the tab list (and easy to mistake). Stata 9 is very nice. It would be good if there could be a key saving -tab saving solution.

Fred Wolfe

> 4) I used to be able to paste from my text editor into the Stata editor,
> with Control-8. Then Control a - v and d ran the program. Now control 8
> opens a new window each time - which has to be deleted (closed) individually.
>
> In addition, once the doedit file is open if you want to select it you
> can't use control 8 as it gives you a new file. You have to carefully
> select the "named" file with the mouse to get it to redisplay.
>
> Could there be a new Control-function # that accessed the last open editor
> file?

We have two suggestions. First, to avoid having to select an existing
Do-file Editor with the mouse, Fred could use Alt-Tab to toggle
between the main Stata window and the Do-file Editor. Assuming
he has a Do-File Editor open but the main Stata window is on top,
Fred should be able to do what he wants by

Alt-Tab (switch focus from main Stata window to Do-file Editor)
Ctrl-A (select all text in Do-file Editor)
Ctrl-V (paste clipboard contents into Do-file Editor)
Ctrl-D (-do- the contents of Do-file Editor)

-- Alan Riley -- Vince Wiggins
([email protected]) ([email protected])

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel (316) 263-2125     Fax (316) 263-0761