st: RE: percentage for each month plotted vs. month

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: percentage for each month plotted vs. month
Date   Mon, 2 May 2005 15:37:52 +0100

I assume variables

date: Stata daily date
x: as defined below
adult: as defined below

You can get months by

gen month = month(date)

The percent of drug use would then be

egen adult_x = mean(100 * (2 - x)) if adult == 1, by(month)

egen child_x = mean(100 * (2 - x)) if adult == 2, by(month)

The graph would be

line *_x month

To cycle over many months,

foreach v of var x y z a b c d e f {
	egen adult_`v' = mean(100 * (2 - `v')) if adult == 1, by(month)
	egen child_`v = mean(100 * (2 - `v')) if adult == 2, by(month)
	line *_`v' month, saving(`v')
	more
}

Note how binary coding 1 for use, 0 for no use, would lead
to cleaner formulae.