st: RE: Is there a command that returns a Variable's Type?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Is there a command that returns a Variable's Type?
Date   Sun, 1 May 2005 16:50:48 +0100

Frank de Libero and Phil Ryan posted good
answers on the construct

: type <varname>

but the question posed in terms of continuous
vs discrete remains.

At worst, the discussion between continuous
and discrete is yours, not Stata's. Discrete
variables might be stored as doubles, longs,
floats, ints, or bytes. I can even imagine
something I regarded as essentially continuous
(e.g. income in dollars) being held as an int
or long if the values all turned out to be integers.

In addition to the construct mentioned, -ds-
allows a filtering on variable types _before_
you enter a loop.

Orion Whitaker