RE: st: RE: generate a positive-valued random variable

From   "Jun Xu" <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: generate a positive-valued random variable
Date   Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:10:05 -0500

Thanks a lot!

From: "Nick Cox" <>
To: <>
Subject: st: RE: generate a positive-valued random variable
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:53:11 +0100

I understand an inverse gamma distribution to
be defined by taking the reciprocals of
a gamma distribution. It would normally have
either two or three parameters.

For two parameters, the Hilbe-Linde-Zwirble
program -rndgamma- offers one solution. Bobby
Gutierrez's program -gengamma- is more general
yet, covering both two and three parameter cases.

Naturally I can't tell you whether this
particular distribution, out of many defined
to be entirely positive, will do what you

Jun Xu

> I am still using Stata 8. I am trying to generate a
> positive-valued random
> variable, and I think I should turn to inverse gamma
> distribution. I am not
> sure if this is right (with its shape parameter equal to 6):
> gen positivevar = invgamma(6, uniform())
> I tried searching Stata listserv and FAQ and I might have
> missed it. But I
> suggest Stata could post some codes for creating commonly used random
> variables in its online FAQ section. I think that will be
> great for a lot of intermediate users.

* For searches and help try: