st: Version control questions

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   st: Version control questions
Date   Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:08:41 -0500

If a main program says

version 8.2

do you also need to include a version statement in any additional routines it calls - or will version 8.2 continue to hold?

In Stata 9.0, level need not be an integer anymore, e.g. it can be 99.99. Further, looking at the docs for the 9.0 -version- command, I don't see any indication that -level- reverts to old behavior under version control. Ergo, for a program written under 8.2, instead of coding something like

Level(integer `c(level)')

on the syntax command would it be better to code

and also dropping any error checks for level being between 10 and 99? I know that can delay error checking but I think Stata itself will generate errors quickly enough if the level is illegal.

Alas, I am one of those people who STILL hasn't upgraded to Stata 9 so I can't check these out myself yet.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu