st: joinby

From   "Hans J. Baumgartner" <>
Subject   st: joinby
Date   Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:23:09 +0200

Dear statalist,

I am still using Stata8.

The reference says that ?joinby- needs the data to be sorted.

But the following code does not lead to an error message.

gen random = uniform()
sort random
joinby var1 var2 var3 using data, unmatched(both)

I had expeced an error messge.

I am puzzled since the data is not joined in the way I expected. Neither
with sort var1 var2 var3 or sort random.

Any glues about that?

Well the version I am using is the most recent one.
. which joinby
*! version 2.0.5  11Jan2001

Hans J. Baumgartner
Dept. Public Economics