Re: st: [Stata8] Model building and stepwise

From   SR Millis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: [Stata8] Model building and stepwise
Date   Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

There's little reason or defense to use stepwise
methods. I'd recommend simply getting through your
class--and then consult a more solid source for model
building guidance, eg, Harrell's "Regression modeling
strategies."

SR Millis

--- "Corona, Ethan" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hello Statalisters,
>
> As part of an epidemiology class project, I have to
> employ stepwise for
> model selection. I can do that with no problems. My
> problem lies with the
> lack of output that -stepwise- generates compared to
> the output that SAS
> provides. Short of performing stepwise by hand, are
> there any model building
> ADOs that give more detailed output of each
> intermediate model?
> Specifically, I'm looking for type I and type III
> sum of squares as well as
> regression output for each intermediate model.
>
> I looked at -allpossible-, and while it provides all
> of the intermediate
> models using the -details- information, it doesn't
> provide the sum of
> squares that I'm looking for.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Ethan Corona
> Predoctoral Fellow
> DCPM
> University of Rochester
> Rochester, New York

> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Scott R Millis, PhD, MEd, ABPP (CN & RP)
Director of Research - Dept of PM&R
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Rehabilitation Institute of Medicine
261 Mack Blvd
Detroit, MI 48201

Tel: 313-993-8085
Fax: 313-745-9854

This electronic message may contain information that is confidential
and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the message. If you are
not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the material from any computer. Do not deliver,
distribute or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or
take any action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you.