Re: st: Help and search

Subject   Re: st: Help and search
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:54:09 -0500

Allan Reese <> asks:

> I have assumed until now that search would return a superset of
> help information.  In other words, a command found by help would
> also be found by search.  It seems this is not true: "search
> datatypes" found no hits but "help datatypes" did.
> "search data types" did a better job for my need.
> Should search be made a guaranteed superset?

For command hlp files I believe this is already true

    search areg
    search cnsreg
    search xtlogit

For hlp files that are on a topic instead of a particular command
it is not always true, but I will see about getting it to be so.
One of the upcoming ado updates for Stata 9 will have the key words
added to catch these topical help files as well.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Ken Higbee
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC