st: How to merge 2 datasets using 2 unique variables

From   Robin Newberry <wnewber@CLEMSON.EDU>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: How to merge 2 datasets using 2 unique variables
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:16:36 -0400

Folks,

I've 2 datasets I need to merge (one with accident data and one with cost data), but the one "unique" variable they have in common (Social Security Number) won't work since there are multiple occurrences of the same individual. What I need to do is merge on two variables - like SSN and accident date - but I can't figure out how to do this in Stata. Is there a way, or do I need to merge the datasets outside of Stata (in Excel, for example) and import them?.
--
Robin
W. Robert Newberry, IV CIH, CHMM

wnewber@clemson.edu ehs@clemson.edu