RE: st: RE: Multiple responses on plot level data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Multiple responses on plot level data
Date   Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:14:25 +0100

Your reference to dummies threw me.

As I see it, your 8 categories are (say)

----- binary -----   decimal
fert  man  fanyahu
0     0    0             0
0     0    1             1
0     1    0             2
0     1    1             3
1     0    0             4
1     0    1             5
1     1    0             6
1     1    1             7

which you can thus construct as (e.g.)

4 * fert + 2 * man + fanyahu

Ronnie Babigumira

> Thanks Nick, sorry for the lack of clarity, measure choice is
> my response (dependent is the term Im more farmiliar with)
> variable (s). I do have a set of predictor (independent)
> variables which I did not include in my email.
>
> Yes I did consider logit models for individual responses. I
> also considered constructing a dependent variable indicating
> whether or not any one of the choices was made.
>
> However, I have been thinking about the mlogit. So you say 8
> possible choices, would that mean 1, 2, 3 for fert, man,
> fanyaju rspv and then 5/8 for the diffrent combinations of
> each. If so, doesnt isnt this a problem because the classes
> are not exactly independent in the sense that (say 5 if
> choices 2 and 3 were made on the plot)

[email protected]

> I am not clear whether you regard
> measure choice as a predictor or a response.
> And in any case I can imagine
> situations in which both views are reasonable.
> Soil erosion loss could depend on
> conservation measures, which choice of conservation
> measures might depend on many things.
>
> If it were the latter, I think it is up to you how you define
> a composite response. Nor is it clear to me that
> you need do that. If this were my problem
> I would look at
>
> (a) logit models for the individual responses
>
> and
>
> (b) a multinomial logit for the 8 possible choices of
> 	fert[iliser?]
> 	man[ure?]
> and	fanyaju[???].
>
> If conservation measures are predictors, you would
> need to look not just at dummies but also at interactions.

Ronnie Babigumira