st: mapping observations into bigger sets

From   "Oleksandr Shepotylo" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: mapping observations into bigger sets
Date   Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:27:47 -0400

I would like to create a variable that will group observations based on
values of anther variable. For example, if region is one of 50 states I need
to divide them into bigger geographical areas: east, west, north, south.
Obviously, I can do it by brute force approach, but I hope there is some
magic command that simplifies the procedure.