RE: RE: st: RE: Econometrics Theory Questions on Dummies and Correlation Analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: RE: Econometrics Theory Questions on Dummies and Correlation Analysis
Date   Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:39:48 +0100

Your first paragraph strikes me as somewhat confused.
The variance of a binary variable is a perfectly
well-defined and meaningful quantity. It would
be difficult to think about e.g. confidence
intervals of proportions otherwise.

According to one paper in the American Statistician, there are
12 ways to think about the correlation; someone
then wrote a note about a 13th; and no doubt there
are more. So there are several things that
could be emphasised. My taste is to stress
(in teaching and otherwise) that correlation
measures linearity of relationship, but this depends
on their being a relationship to summarize in
the first place, which depends on positive
variances in both variables.

I agree that means and variances of
non-binary nominal codes don't usually make
sense. The only exception I can think of
is that zero variance has a clearcut
interpretation, namely that all observations
are in the same category. But you clearly
don't need the variance to tell you that,
and I don't think this is a point at issue
in this thread.

But as pointed out in a earlier post of mine,
part of the problem here is that "nominal" is
often used to lump together measurement scales
that are quite different, namely binary and
polytomous.

SamL