AW: st: re: WLS and dummies

From   "Christian Holz" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: re: WLS and dummies
Date   Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:42:42 +0100

Javier,

Everything is right here. var4 and var7 are the reference (or comparison)
categories of your two dummy-sets var2-var4 and var5-var7.
Normally you would (at least I would) omit one of each set already in the
regression command. I would choose either the one with the lowest or highest
coefficient or the one which makes most theoretical sense to compare with.
However, as Kit already pointed out, you NEED to exclude one dummy variable
for each categorical variable.
The reason is very simple: if you know the value for var2 and var3 in your
sample data, you also know the value for var4, hence you have perfect
multicollinearity which violates your OLS assumptions.

Hope you're not offended by the suggestion to consult a textbook again on
the use of categorical variables in regression analysis; those are often
more helpful than a discussion group like that.

Best from wet West Scotland
Christian

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----