st: RE: RE: RE: Fitting a t distribution

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Fitting a t distribution
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:25:32 +0100

In your first email you clearly identify that the parameters are df,
scale and shift. You are not obliged to specifying starting
values in an -ml- program, if that is your question.

I am not aware that any program pre-exists to do
what you want. But a program like -gammafit- gives
you a template that just needs modifying for your
case.

Indranil Majumdar

> I am trying to fit the t-distribution to my data. Hence, I
> don't know the
> parameters to start with because that's what I want to estimate. I was
> wondering if something is available for the t along the lines
> of 'gammafit',
> 'betafit' available on the ssc website.

Nick Cox

> I am puzzled by this question. But yes,
> if you wish to maximize a likelihood function,
> -ml- is exactly the right command. And Al
> Feiveson was exactly right in pointing you
> towards -tden()-.

Indranil Majumdar